Here’s a quick recipe video of my BICOL EXPRESS (pork belly cooked in coconut milk with shrimp paste and chilis) with a side dish – Simple Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette for a more nutritious and balanced meal.
** BICOL EXPRESS **
• 2 cups or 1 can coconut milk (or kakang gata if available)
• 900 grams pork belly, cut and fatty parts separated
• 1/2 cup shrimp paste
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 6 pcs or more chopped green and red chili peppers, optional
• 2 tsp ground black pepper
• chopped scallions, garnish
1. Heat a pan or pot and cook the fatty parts until they begin to render oil. Sauté the onion and garlic.
2. Add the pork belly and then continue cooking until the color becomes light brown.
3. Add the shrimp paste, half of the chili peppers and ground black pepper.
4. Pour in the coconut milk, stir well and bring to a boil. Simmer for an hour or until the pork is tender and the coconut milk releases oil and thickens. Add the rest of the chili peppers and cook for a few more minutes.
5. Garnish with scallions. Serve and enjoy!
** SIMPLE SALAD WITH BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE DRESSING **
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
• 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
• 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
• 1/2 cup garlic-infused olive oil, optional
• 1 tbsp honey
• salt and ground black pepper to taste
Combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt and black pepper together in a glass jar with a lid. Shake vigorously until thoroughly mixed.
Place tomatoes and lettuce on a plate and pour dressing all over. Enjoy!
Please like and subscribe ♡ Thank you!